Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Things to Sell and Do To Make Extra Money Now
When I first started this blog, my goal was to document all the different things I did to make extra money. You see when I stopped working to raise my son, I still wanted to contribute to the family income, or at least be able to cover the cost of the extras I enjoyed (like my Mocha from Starbucks:) In addition, I still wanted to add money to a retirement account.
In Order to Make Extra Money, Hold Yourself Accountable
To hold myself accountable, I set up a business checking account (I did register myself as a business first) and committed to having $200 a month withdrawn from that account and automatically deposited into a SEP IRA a financial advisor set up for me. I needed to make money in order to have that money in the account every month.
Start a Blog to Document Your Progress and Give Yourself a Purpose
I encourage you to start a blog first if you don’t have one yet in order to hold yourself accountable and to document your experience. I found that starting a blog was therapeutic and gave me a purpose. Not only that, it enabled me to make even more money with the skills I learned. You can follow my step-by-step instructions in setting up your own blog HERE if this is something you want to do.
Below are the different ways I made money to fulfill my obligation to myself. I included other ways to make money as well. I hope you find something on this list that will inspire you!
37 Awesome Things to Sell and Do to Make Money Now
- Sell used books on Amazon.
- Become a Secret Shopper.
- Re-purpose items from Goodwill and sell hand-painted items on eBay (even if you can’t paint).
- Become a face painter (small face painting designs on kids is big business).
- Start a pet sitting business (my sister does this and makes great extra money!)
- Offer one of your skills on Fiverr.
- Sell your designer clothes and accessories on TheRealReal.com or Tradesy.
- Sell your unused gift cards at CardCash.com.
- Learn how to make money with discounted gift cards.
- Invest in a Cricut machine and make Cricut projects to sell.
- Learn the practice of arbitrage to buy and sell items for a profit.
- Start a blog or a website and take the skills you learn and market them to local businesses.
- Become an online teacher with VIPKID.
- Sell your clothes at Plato’s Closet or Style Encore. I like these two places because they pay cash on the spot, however, if you don’t have one of these stores near you, consider selling your clothes and accessories at a local consignment shop.
- Learn how to make money selling new books from a bookstore and reselling them on eBay or Amazon.
- Deliver pizzas. My son is doing this with Papa John’s right now while on college break and making great extra money!
- Sell digital goods from a website or blog.
- Earn a part-time income writing for Hubpages.
- Make money tearing up old books. You have to check this out!
- Learn easy DIY projects you can make and sell.
- Sell physical coupons. You won’t get rich doing this, but if you have access to a lot of Sunday paper inserts, you can sell coupon “lots” on eBay. In addition, you can sell percentage or dollar off coupons like the ones from Bed, Bath and Beyond.
- Sell DIY project plans on eBay and/or Etsy.
- Become a virtual assistant.
- Take a work-from-home part-time job you find on Craigslist. Check out these savvy techniques for part-time job seekers!
- Host an experience on Airbnb (Yes, you can rent a room through Airbnb, but did you know you can get paid to host an experience?)
- Become an instructor on Udemy.
- Put your design skills to use and create Pinterest graphics for bloggers.
- Rent out your car. Check out the site Turo if you’re interested in this extra money idea.
- Participate in medical research. I did this in college and you can make decent extra money from this! Check out Clinical Connection and see if there are any studies you qualify for in your area.
- Learn how to make a Vision Board and teach classes to others in your community how to make their own.
- Offer your musical talent at weddings. Do you play the violin, flute, trumpet, piano, harp, or organ? These instruments sound great in the church at the ceremony, or at cocktail hour before the reception begins.
- Be a tutor. Check out Wyzant.com. I’ve used this site to secure a tutor for my son a couple of years ago and he was fantastic!
- Become a delivery partner with UberEats and deliver food in your community. It’s kind of like Uber (which you could do too), but you would be delivering food from local eateries!
- Offer cookies for sale or other baked goods with your own home baking business.
- Host an art or creativity camp or classes for kids. Turn your expertise and talent for art or creative thinking into a money-making venture.
- Sell what you make or sew at your own home parties. For instance, I have a friend who sews unique purses and scarves and holds home parties in her house around the holidays and Mother’s Day to sell them.
- Sell high-profit toys on eBay. Littlest Pet Shop toys (LPS) are a favorite on eBay. There are many eBay LPS listings so you will need to go through them to see what sells best. Rare Littlest Pet Shop toys bring in the most money.
Free 34-Page eBook Shows You My 3 Simple Methods to Earn an Extra $500-$1,000 a Month From Home
Sign up to download your free copy of The Ultimate Guide to Easy Extra Income, my 34-page eBook, that will explain my 3 simple methods to help you quickly earn an extra $500-$1,000 a month from home. These are the same methods I used. You can get started earning money right away!